Saturday, July 9, 2005

Chronicle Editorial: What can you contribute to our Council?

In Friday's Chronicle Editorial (8 July 2005), the question was raided, "What can you contribute to our Council?". The editor was surprised that there is no excitement yet leading up to the November elections. You can read his editorial on the Watchdog Forums front page. Here is a response letter I have sent to the Chronicle.

In your editorial of 8 July 2005, you asked, "Has apathy replaced excitement as the key element in the outcome of the next round of local government elections?". I don't think so!

You then asked, "Is it apathy - or indeed is it a sign that ratepayers generally have been happy with their current Ovens Street representatives." I dont think so!

I am one of those who is, "... motivated by a feeling that they have something to contribute in terms of making our city a better place for all". However, I have concluded that it would be futile for me to stand for election in November.

First, I have a social conscience. I am more concerned about the loss of grass roots democracy than I am about the controls the state government is imposing on councils. With the confidentiality rules that already apply, I would be fined $10,000 - banished from office for six years - and would probably end up in jail because I would refuse to be gagged.

Secondly, I would work to represent the rural communities. With the abolition of wards, I would have to represent all of the people in the municipality ... and what would a country boy know about that city lifestyle? Then again, what would those city folk know about the needs of their country neighbours?

And finally, I would probably not get elected because of the proportional voting system being applied this time around. Whilst a ward councillor may well be recognised throughout his ward, it is unlikely that any new rural candidate has a high enough profile to be recognised throughout the municipality to get the quota required for election.

I believe the reason that there is little excitement in the November elections is a sense of futility and confusion rather than apathy or complacence. I guess I will remain an "... element of discontent with the workings of the incumbent council, but that comes with the territory."

Those interested in forming a Rural Ratepayers group are urged to contact the writer by email at gnaylor@bordernet.com.au or by visiting the Watchdog Forums at http://forums.farvista.net.

The Chronicle editorial can be read on the Watchdog Forums home page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home