Friday, August 29, 2008

Don Joyce: I’m out of council

Source: Wangaratta Chronicle 30.08.08

But four to seek re-election, and two undecided

Written by Philip Nolan.

WANGARATTA will have at least one, and possibly three, new faces around the city council table following the November election.

This follows confirmation yesterday by nine year councillor, and twice mayor, Don Joyce, that he would not be seeking re-election.

And Cr Tanya Tatulaschwili and Bernard Young are also still undecided about seeking a further term.

Current mayor, Roberto Paino, along with the longest continuous serving councillor Rozi Parisotto, the only rural based councillor Neville Wright and the newest councillor, Ron Webb, will all be putting their hand up again.

Cr Joyce said yesterday that although he would "have a lot of regrets" about leaving council, the time had come to call it quits.

"My business (Wangaratta Coachlines) has grown enormously and frankly, I am struggling to keep up with the time demands of that and also being a city councillor.

"While I believe I still have a lot to contribute to council and I love doing the job, finding the time has become a real challenge, and I just have to draw the line," he said.

Cr Tatulaschwili, who was elected to council as a 23 year-old and is now pregnant with a second child, said she would be giving careful thought to her decision over the next few weeks.

"I will be speaking with my husband and weighing everything up. Our daughter Felicity is 16 months old and I am at the half-way mark of my second pregnancy now.

"I have really enjoyed my involvement with local government. It has been a wonderful experience and I would encourage anyone else, whether I stand or not, to put their hand up. It really is a very fulfilling role.

"Having said that, the next term is a four year one, which is a big commitment. I still have about five weeks to make my mind up before nominations are called, so we will be giving it a bit of thought" she said.

Cr Young said that the change from three to four year terms was a definite factor in his thinking.

"It is a big commitment, but one you would have to see through if elected. I think there is also an expectation that a councillor taking on a second term, as I would be, needs to be very active in the community.

"The first term is really about learning as much as you can about the local government system," he said.

Cr Young said he would come up with a final decision in the next few weeks.

Cr Parisotto said that she would definitely be seeking a further term, as she "loved" the role of a councillor.

"I have been on council since 2000, and I would like to give it one more term. The four years is a big commitment, but I really enjoy working with the community and I would encourage other people to also have a go."

Both Crs Paino and Webb said they would be seeking re election, while Cr Wright said that with the regional connections he had now built up, he felt he owed it to the people in the rural areas of the municipality to again seek a place on council.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home