Saturday, August 6, 2005

Why did I became a Cattle Producer?


I live on 10 acres just out of Whitfield and I purchased a few cattle to keep the grass under control.

Now, I could hardly be called a farmer but, to send my couple of cows to market, I have to be registered as a cattle producer and produce a little plastic card with my Property Identification Code (PIC) when I sell an animal. I have another little card with my Wangaratta Cattle Exchange identity.

I feel real important with a roll of tail tags also with my unique PIC. In the last couple of years, it has got real hi-tech with the National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) electronic ear tags. Of course there is that all important documentation detailing the life history of both of my animals.

Recently, I heard that the authorities are looking at a tagging system for the hay bales that I grow on my property and feed to my cattle. If that comes in, I will probably have to keep a diary of which bales were eaten by Maisey and her son, Red.

Now, the State Government wants me to enter a written contract with the bloke down the road to take my animals, probably one at a time, to market. The poor bugger will have to give me an information booklet containing rates determined by the government at least three days before a contract starts or the bloke can be subject to penalties.

I should have bought a slasher!


Associated article: Transport dilemma
Associated article: Tags now essential

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home