Monday, August 21, 2006

Hearing Awareness Week - 20-26 August

Please speak clearly – that’s the request from Bill Sykes, Nationals Member for Benalla, on behalf of 1 in 6 Australians who suffer from hearing loss.

Dr Sykes, who has recently had hearing aids fitted to both ears, is keen to spread the word about the importance of hearing loss and to support Hearing Awareness Week
20-26 August.

Dr Sykes said, “Whilst some people joke about politicians having selective hearing, in my case, I got to the stage of missing large parts of conversations during business meetings and social gatherings.

“This was frustrating to both the people talking to me and for me – particularly if I missed the punch line of a good joke!”

“I am therefore not surprised to learn that the cost to the community of hearing loss in terms of treatment and work productivity is more than $11 billion each year.

“What is more concerning is that the prevalence of hearing loss will increase to 1 in 4 as Australia’s population ages.

“Given this situation it is important that The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital which has served Victoria for over 140 years, continues to be supported in its valuable work.”

Dr Sykes continued, “All is not lost. I encourage people to have a hearing test and to get hearing aids if necessary.

“More importantly, I encourage people to protect their hearing by using ear protection in noisy environments.

“Finally, I ask people with normal hearing to be understanding and in particular to speak slowly and clearly to those of us with impaired hearing.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home